There’s a cool succulent (its proper name is Kalanchoe marnieriana) in my garden that currently has these pretty pink and orange buds. It totally amazes me. In the first year that I watched this plant grow, I never saw the buds. Now it’s grown rather tall in the garden and has sprouted these pretty pods and buds. I look forward to seeing if flowers come next.
Today was another day of laborious yard work. I don’t mind it too much – it’s great exercise. And I get a closer look at all the plants in the yard. We whacked the heck out of a bush with the red flowers (we don’t know the name of this plant either – it was here when the house was purchased). I rescued a couple of sprigs from the burn pile to put in a vase so I could paint it later, along with some kind of evergreen. The whole thing has a rather Holiday/Christmas feel to it, and I thought it would be nice to paint the vase arrangement with a depression glass bowl filled with homegrown citrus fruits (lemons and grapefruit).
Here you can see my work area…
This is just a sketch/study, meant to be loose. I enjoyed creating it. I hope you enjoy viewing it! Thanks for stopping by.
Lady Rose ~ in red and neutral tones. She’s new in my Society6 shop. Watercolor, ink, and marker.
Bouncing off my last post about looking at your work in black and white, I decided to offer this artwork two ways, in neutral tones and with the rich reds, oranges, and pinks of the colorized version. She was created in more muted tones, for the Colour Collective Pink Quartz challenge which I will post on Friday. Here’s a pink version, and all are available in my Society6 shop – and they look super cool on mugs, totes and pillows. Great holiday gift for a chic and lovely lady in your life. So far, the neutral one seems to be the most popular!
(Since I posted this, Lady Rose has receive a lot more “likes” on the Society6 site – I think people like her as much as I do! She has a sort of “art nouveau” look and feel, don’t you think? I might do more of these. She was fun to create.) Meanwhile, I have two textile/pattern-y type of designs created using the same watercolor/marker/ink used for Lady Rose, and they’re really cool. Gosh, it’s as much work to share as it is to create this stuff … and I’ve got some business to take care of before the big move in just 11 more days!
Blues, greens, and purples ~ inspired by the surprisingly beautiful cool yet autumnal colors of porcelain berries that grow on a vine found on my walk yesterday. Here, I’ve created more elements that I can use in a design. The image below/last image has a kind of folksy feel to it and the piece with three leaves might be something in and of itself. When creating images to be used in patterns, it’s good to create them separately – with space between them so they can be cut, pasted, and layered within a design as needed. If you create clusters of images one on top of the other initially, you will have a hard time separating them and using similar imagery to fill spaces and create a pleasing pattern without having to go back create the parts you find you need – which is also why it’s good to plan how you’re going to make a pattern or design ahead of time. But then, it’s fun when things just happen, right? Especially so if it’s not your “job” and you have that luxury of time and patience to let your art take shape by itself. Well, not entirely by itself – but you know what I mean. ; )
P.S. I’m excited to let you know that my Print “Porcelain Vine Leaves” has been selected to be included in the Society6 Shop. Check it out here:
Inspiration … Love the colors of these berries, from my morning walk ~ a pattern is taking shape, I think, from this study. I am working on some leaves in the same colors. Later, I will import the elements into my Affinity Designer program and see where it takes me. I found out the name of this plant – these berries grow on a vine, called Ampelopsis brevipedunculata ‘Elegans’ (Variegated Porcelain Vine).