The experiment – I drew (I know I said I was done with orchids but …) these flowers using watercolor pencils on heavy weight, acid free paper – then I cut out the flowers and gessoed them onto 140 lb. cold pressed watercolor paper and watercolored the background using a lifting method (where I pressed off wet area of paint with a paper towel). I like the papier-mâché quality of the end result, and the soft colors. I am extremely pleased with how these turned out on the fly, with very little planning. They have a very Japanese/Chinese feel to me. You can see the crinkles left in the paper from pressing and the edges where I cut away the paper; this is a very wabi-sabi type of thing.
The lesson – this will be interest to any of you who may live in the South U.S. and battle ants – ants like to eat a certain kind of cheap kid’s watercolor paint that I like to “play with.” They are kind of waxy watercolors that are made by Crayola and other other companies, as well as the great neon watercolor I grossly overpaid for from Amazon.com.
Needless to stay, I threw out two watercolor kits consisting of these types of paints AND my bag of water soluble wax pastels (they practically melt in my hands here). I am thinking of replacing them with acrylics and chalk pastels when I buy my easel (which I plan to do soon, soon, soon).
P.S. I hate ants!